Thursday, November 6, 2014

Political labels in democracy

Political Labels Need Not Apply


Let there be only one political label to apply to me. American.

Listening to political analysts can be funny. I get a kick out of those political labels used to describe where someone stands on issues. Liberal leftists, far right conservatives, centrist independents, extreme lefts, democratic rights, republican lefts, etc etc etc....

I have to wonder, whatever happened to the label of American? I mean, just because you think a woman has the right to have an abortion, or that gay people should be able to marry, or if you think the federal government is a corrupted mess, there are labels for you. Why? Can we not express our thoughts, ideas, or values without some political adhesive tying us to some subjected grouping?

How about labeling someone as a free thinker? Whoa, hold on now, what did I just call myself? Wait. I'm a democratic voter, but does that mean I'm also a liberal? I admit I'm pretty liberal with mayonnaise and peanut butter spread, but just because I think it's cool that Coloradans managed to make marijuana legal by due process, does that make me a pot headed liberal? Maybe, since I said I'm liberal with peanut butter! Just kidding.

Really though, why all the stupidity with political labels? Honestly, can we not have an open discussion without sticking a "kick me" sign on someones back? What the hell is a rightist centrist liberal, anyways? Seriously? Maybe perhaps what is going on here is the same things high-school kids do to weird classmates? "Dude, that guy is a whack job man!" Said Bob. "No way man, he's a leftist extremist independent!" Said Tommy. "Guys, all I said was is that I think Mrs.Johnson is Hawt, I didn't know she was gay?!?!" Said the guy.

Ok, ok... I'm trying to be funny, and I suck, but the point is, labels make it almost impossible to voice your opinion. I mean, I think Dick Morris, author of Power Grab is a moron. Just saying. Have you ever watched this guy on TV? He sounds like he had a few helium hits off a crack bong. Ooops, there I go with labels again. I mean Steve Malzberg is in my opinion a jerk off, slack jawed retardican. I have yet to find a label though that really fits him, but I did kinda figure he wouldn't wear any of them besides the one he wears now, that being "Wanna Be Anchor." Just saying, I'm sorry but lately I like to dig here and there against a certain "Wanna Be News Agency."

Anyone else out there with the same thoughts? How are labels helpful? What is the purpose of sticking labels on people with honest opinions? Who the hell is in charge of the labeling system anyways? 3M? I'm sorry, but political post-its for expressing your thoughts, views, opinions or ideas only destroy the whole idea of free thought. Labels do nothing but oppress free thinking.

Yet, labels come in many flavors. Some only apply once, others apply in various versions. Let's talk about race or skin color. Now if your black, you can be called black, or African American, or colored. That's a good one, eh? I'm white, but I'm also Caucasian. I think Spanish people have it the toughest. Latino, Latino American, Mexican, Hispanic, Hispanic American, etc etc... I'm not even sure where to start with Asians.

Lets face it, labels suck! However I do like the label of Dad, Husband and an abundance of other family like labels I wear. Also the label of blogger, hunter, hairy chested, tall, tough, and as my wife likes to label me, Brick Shit House. Don't ask.

I guess some labels are alright, but political labels are really useless. Why bother labeling people, half the time we somehow get our labels replaced with some other label, but they never really identify the person for who they really are. Perhaps one universal label would suffice, like, oh I don't know... American?

Think before you jump to the label just because someone disagrees with your idea or position. Maybe if you just think about your own label, you might not give out labels yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment